Jan 28, 2015

TONYMOLY Apple Hand Cream Review

Purchased Affiliate / Referral Link


This is the very thing that got me into the world of Asian skincare!

A TONYMOLY shop had their grand opening, so along with that they had a promotion where it only costs $4 USD for their Red Apple Hand Cream. The promo enticed me to purchase three of them! Coupled with a 20% off deal when you sign up for their mailing list in-store, I paid less than $4 for each apple cream, even with sales taxes applied. I kept one and gave the other two away.


What is it?


TONYMOLY makes products that are not only functional, but aesthetically pleasing. Of course I want my skincare products to look like fruits! Or pandas.

This particular hand cream shares the same packaging as their Appletox Honey Cream, but that is a different product from the same brand.


Ingredients

Water, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Hydrogenated Castor Oil Isostearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polyethylene, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-75 Stearate, Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Betaine, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Steareth-20, Ceteth-20, Sodium Carbomer, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Chlophrenesin, Xanthan Gum, Royal Jelly Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Lepidium Meyenii Root Extract, Disodium EDTA, Benzophenone-5, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, CI 19140, Goat Milk Extract, Citric Acid, CI 17200
I see some typical skin moisturizers, as well royal jelly extract, Lepidium meyenii root (maca) extract, apple fruit extract, and goat milk extract. Royal jelly extract shows antibacterial and antioxidant activities. I didn't see a whole lot on maca extract for topical usage. And there's also not much on apple fruit extract on the skin, except that I know malic acid exists in the fruit, which can contribute to humectant and exfoliant properties. Goat milk extract has barely anything, too, for some reason. I thought it would be more researched rather than just hearsay for use in cosmetics. But all this supposed good stuff are on the very low side of the ingredients list after fragrance, so I doubt they will actually do anything but for advertisement.


Packaging



The one I have contains 30g of product, and it comes in this adorable red apple container. Once you open the top half of the apple, there is an inner lid that keeps the product from spilling. Though using a jar like this is unhygienic, this problem can easily be overcome by depotting it into a smaller container because this packaging is too big for travelling, or washing your hands right before usage to prevent as much contamination as possible.


Scent


I love this scent! It is a mild and pleasant apple scent like a crisp, Granny Smith. It is very realistic smelling, unlike the Jolly Rancher apple flavor. The smell lasts for about two hours, but I was not bothered by it at all because I tend to get allergic reactions to "fragrance" ingredients, but not this one.


Appearance


This cream is opaque with a tint of yellow.


Texture


I find the cream on the lighter side, like my beloved CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. Though, when too much of the product is applied, it has a weird feeling that is similar to what your skin feels like when you wash with soap bars, but that can be taken care of either with another moisturizer on top, or not applying too much.


Application





Even if the product is called a hand cream, it's just a moisturizer. And like any moisturizer, just apply it to any parts of your skin that needs moisturizing. I just massage it pretty much everywhere onto my skin, my face included, because I don't really see why I can't use it on my face if the moisturizer doesn't cause any negative reactions to me. It's a real joy to apply this because of the lovely scent. It makes me hungry by just smelling the product!


Performance


This product does a good job of moisturizing. I can't say that this is the best moisturizer I've used, but it does the job well with a pleasant scent. I tend to get irritated eyes from cosmetics, but I never had problems with this product and it never broke me out, either, but, these are conditional and varies from person to person.


Conclusion


Pros:
  • Adorable, reusable packaging.
  • Moisturizer does its job.
  • Product was not irritating.
  • Product did not cause acne on me.
Neutral:
  • Jar packaging may be unhygienic, but there are workarounds.
Cons:
  • Not necessary to have more than one apple at a time.
  • Ingredients list is not very impressive.
  • Not a multitasking skincare product.

It works great for the novelty of the item. I enjoy the delicious apple scent and the lovely packaging. Would I repurchase? Only if my current apple jar broke, otherwise, I don't find it necessary to have more than one apple. I can put any moisturizer in the container so I can just stare at the apple and use it, too. I would be willing to purchase sample packets and depot them into the apple container I currently have because that would be more cost effective.


Where to Purchase


Website Price
Tester Korea ₩ 5,500
Memebox $9.00 USD
Prices exclude shipping and handling costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment